Bohemian Princess Diary
I had a great time in Ennis at the Czech Music Festival. My highlights:
• THE MUSIC! Five bands of incredibly talented musicians - Jodie Mikula Orchestra, The Moravians, Czech & Then Some, Ennis Czech Boys, and Czech Harvesters. The variety of music all day long was awesome!
• Friday night Polka On! Pre-party. Another group of talented young musicians - All Around Czechs - kept the dance floor full. Close your eyes when Brandon Hodde and Chris Trojacek are singing and you'd think you were in Nashville.
• Dancing with National Polka Festival King Louis Stewart. I love learning new steps. Actually, thanks to all who asked me to dance. It's much appreciated and loved dancing with you all!
• The fried fish dinner. Yum!
• The kids. It was great to see so many young people having a fun time. Super Man was even in attendance!
• My table mates - Pat and Louis Vrazel. Pat and I had a great time pointing out all the cute kids. Pat and Louis are always willing to help me packing and unpacking all my stuff. Love y'all!
• Great raffle prizes including a quilt made out of Ennis band t-shirts and liquor wagon with over $1,000 worth of spirits, food, and awesome neon sign. Lowlight: I didn't win any of the prizes. Sigh.
• Staying at Quality Inn. The Ozymy Family always makes me feel well taken care of.
I look forward to the 15th annual fest next February.
On to the cover story - Gene Lichnovsky. When I told my husband, John, that he was the cover, he said, "Our piano man?" Yes. Gene played at our wedding reception in 2006 and at our 10th anniversary party. When he played at our wedding reception, he had so many requests I don't know if he got to them all. Our guests loved the variety of music genres he pulled from to thoroughly entertain us all.
This issue also has our annual Spring & Summer Fest Guide. Cover story features church picnics. Yes! The picnic circuit starts in April and continues through October. The guide features the initial list of picnic dates, along with the must-attend festivals coming this spring and summer.
The first one coming up in March is the South Texas Polka & Sausage Festival in Hallettsville. I always look forward to this festival and will there front and center on Sunday the 22nd when Gary E. McKee will be inducted into the Polka Hall of Fame. He is being recognized for his support of polka. Very well deserved! Through his photographs and articles, Gary has documented and promoted the joy of polka. Thanks, Gary!
Till next month, Polka On!